unable to password protect a directory

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by smetric » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm
I have been trying to password protect a directory using .htaccess and .htpasswd files, but keep receiving server configuration errors. My .htaccess file looks like this:

-----------------------------------------
AuthUserFile /nfs/WWW_pages/<user-name>/<domain-name>/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName Secure
AuthType Basic
<limit GET>
require valid-user
</limit>
------------------------------------------'

I've placed a .htpasswd file in the root directory of my web file access. I've tried several variations of the AUthUserFile path. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark
by speakman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:37 pm
My .htaccess for the same purpose in
/home/WWW_pages/<username>/<sub-directory>/has:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "blah blah blah"
AuthUserFile /home/WWW_pages/<username>/<sub-directory>/.htpasswd
Require valid-user

and it works for me.

If you have a .htaccess file for your <username>.member.sonic.net site located
in your /home/WWW_pages/<username>/ directory itself, you might want to
move it aside and try the password again; in my experience, the .htaccess file
in the upper directory gets parsed before the one in the sub-directory in spite
of your domain being rooted at /home/WWW_pages/<username>/<sub-directory>/

YMMV,
Tony S
by smetric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am
Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggested .htaccess content with my username info and it still didn’t work.

When I ftp into my account, I get defaulted to the directory /home/s/smetric (my username is smetric). In smetric, there is a sub-directory named public_html. When I go to public_html, it links me to /nfs/WWW_pages/smetric. In here is a subdirectory solmetric.net, which is the root of my web site. In my .httaccess file I’ve tried setting AuthUserFile to /nfs/WWW_pages/smetric/solmetric.net/.htpasswd, and placing the .htpasswd file there. I can’t seem to find anything that will work.

Thanks,
Mark
by kgc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 am
Mark - just try this and put the .htpasswd file in the same directory as the .htaccess file

Code: Select all

AuthUserFile .htpasswd
AuthName Secure
AuthType Basic
require valid-user
Note that if you are going to use a <limit></limit> stanza that you most likely want to list _all_ methods. In your example you only limit GET requests, but POST requests would not be limited. That is probably not the desired results. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limit
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by smetric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it and it still is giving me an "Internal Server Error" when I attempt to access the resource.
Mark
by kgc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am
Mark, there is a garbage (unprintable) character in front of the line 'AuthUserFile' -- your editor may not be displaying it at all. Try deleting the first line and then typing it in again.
Kelsey Cummings
by smetric » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm
Getting rid of the garbage character is a step in the right direction, thanks. Now I get prompted for a username and password instead of getting the internal server error. However it is not recognizing the user name and password I put in. I created the .htpasswd file contents with the sonic .htaccess password tool.
Mark
by kgc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:11 pm
Mark, looks like I gave you bad advice the first time around. Apache does need the full path to the .htpasswd file and not just the relative path. I've edited the file in place.
Kelsey Cummings
by slapout » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:02 pm
I'm having the identical problem. I used to Sonic.net tool to create the .htaccess and .htpasswd files, and I'm get the Malformed Header message. It worked for me a few months ago when I tried it, but this morning it failed.
by kgc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:30 pm
Can you clarify what tool was used to create an .htaccess file? Did you try opening the .htacess file in a text editor to make sure that it was properly formatted?
Kelsey Cummings
15 posts Page 1 of 2